Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Riverbank Run


On Saturday Bryan and I participated in our first ever 10K race by taking part in the Fifth Third Riverbank run. What an experience that was! The day was cold, wet, and windy but we finished and had a wonderful morning. I had begun training mid Feb. with a fun group of girls running together twice a week. Bryan didn't follow any particular training guide but attempted to get out and run whenever time allowed. After months of getting ready we were excited when May 8 finally came. Like I said on the race day it wasn't the nicest of MI mornings. Bryan ended up running the 6.2 miles in 54 minutes and I came in about ten minutes after him at 64 minutes. Since we had never ran in any type of race we were pretty pleased with our times.
The above pic is the group we traveled downtown with. We all ran and raised support on behalf of Youth for Christ. Thanks again to all our friends and fam who donated. Heading down on the party bus was totally the way to go. Thanks again Tara and Kate for organizing such a fun event. Looking forward to doing this again next year!

Some pics that my sister in law snapped of Wendi and I mid run as we neared the finish line.
My running partner rocks!! I do think she could've went ahead of me and finished better but she remained my wing woman the entire 6.2. I'd been nursing a sore knee and was just thankful I was able to run that morning. Thanks again, Wen, for hanging with me. Looking forward to our next adventure. :)

For I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

3 comments:

Matt Yount said...

Running Rotmans Rock!

The Kapenga's said...

You are too sweet! No I would not have run any faster!!! Besides, it wouldn't be the same running without you. Thanks for pushing me the last couple months to stick with this and accomplish something I NEVER thought I would do!

Tara Follett said...

Love the post! Thanks for blessing me and the ministry of YFC!! You guys do rock.