Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Such a BRAVE girl!

This afternoon I took Kennedy to the doctor for her 4 year well child appointment. I know we're a bit late on this, but her preschool recommended making the appointment in June or July so that she's current for the entire school year. Anyway, we knew this day was coming and it was one I had been dreading for awhile as it consisted of shots. Honestly there's no way to hide them or sugar coat them for a 4 year old. Part of me was like do I prepare her or do I just surprise her. I didn't want her to worry about the upcoming visit and I also didn't think springing it on her was fair either. Basically we just talked about it in advance and explained that it would hurt, but only for a second. I think knowing that the hurt wasn't going to last put her at ease. We also told her that after the appointment she could go to Target, a happy place, and pick out whatever she desired. She really liked that as she loves Target. Today at her appointment she was as brave as a 4 year old could be and I couldn't be prouder. They checked her vision, her hearing and even made her pee in a cup. She thought that was pretty cool. :-) They also did all the normal routine stuff and all checked out great. When it came time for the shots, which they do last at the office we go to, she laid there and let them willingly administer them. I was by her head just holding her and telling her how brave she was. She did cry, but who wouldn't, so that was heart breaking. She did not fight or freak out which was a relief. I'm not sure I would've had it in me to fight her to get them done, so I praise God for giving her the strength to be such a brave little honey. She ended up having to have 5 shots instead of 4 as the doctor recommended a Hep A shot because we've taken her, and will possibly again, to FL and apparently that's a must for taking them south. I figured why not get it done now instead of going back at a later date. Anyway, we survived the shots and won't need anymore for a long while, thankfully. We had a great time at Target and she picked out a cute little Hello Kitty watch as her "brave" award!
I'll end now with her stats:
42 1/2 inches which I think was the 75th percentile
She weighed in at 40lbs. 8oz. and that, I believe, was the 90th percentile.
The percentiles could be reversed as they didn't write it on my sheet so I'm just going by what I was told and can't exactly recall what went with what. I guess I could've went online, but don't really care all that much as she is exactly where she needs to be and is growing just great.

3 comments:

GITTYUP said...

Woo Whoo, Kennedy! That is awesome!

TracyVDM said...

Those percentiles sound correct. Isabella is still 37 lbs, which is what she was at 4, and they said that was 65th, I think. WTG Kenz!! We did 2 this year and will do 2 next year for shots.

Anonymous said...

love her to pull her shorts aside and show me her little sweet p---y