Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oh what a day..

So today was a day that I had been dreading for awhile now. All three kids were due for shots. Kenz and Koop needed the flu vaccine and Kolter was due for his 6 month immunizations. Taking three kids to the dr. is work in itself let alone having to deal with the whole shot situation on top of it. It's much easier taking a baby for shots than toddlers in my opinion. You can't really sugar coat the fact that they are going to get a little poke and that it might hurt. Anyway.. we were finally all in the van and set to go. I think Kennedy whined the whole way about not wanting a pokey. Thankfully Kooper really had no clue what a pokey was so he was just hanging out playing with Buzz. When we arrived at the office and I went to get Kolter out I could smell that he had pooped. Great, I thought. Once he was out of the car seat I realized he had a major blow out and not just a full pants. It soaked right thru his jeans. Since we are sort of past, or so I thought, the newborn poops, as I like to call these lovely blowouts, I don't typically carry an extra outfit with me anymore. Needless to say after we checked in we headed straight to the bathroom to attempt to clean him up. He ended up going pant less the entire time we were there as there was no way I could clean his pants up enough for him to put them back on. Yes, it was that bad! Thankfully we were heading right home after their appointments so I wasn't too riled by the mess. The nurse was waiting when we walked out of the bathroom so the plus to poop mess was that I didn't have to control the kids in the waiting room. Those of you with multiple children, especially busy toddlers, know exactly what I'm talking about. Another plus to the morning was that Kenz and Kooper were offered a nasal spray flu vaccine rather than a regular shot so there were no pokeys for them today. Praise the Lord!! Kenz took it with ease so that rocked. Kooper wasn't sure why the nurse was sticking something up his nose, so he resisted a tad, but overall both did great. Kolter ended up getting 4 shots as he was too little for the nasal spray. I think you had to be 2 for that. Thankfully he only cries for a second or two and that's that. I actually think he put up more of a fuss for the oral one today than the pokes. Typically that's the one he likes. Not sure what his deal with that was. Anyway, the dreaded visit turned out to be not so bad after all. Both boys checked out great. We did Kooper's 2 year well child today as well. I know were about 3 months behind but we had to hold off until now for insurance purposes. Now for the stats.. Kooper weighed in at 30 1/2 lbs. and was 35 1/2 inches in length. 70th percentile for weight and 50th for height. Kolter weighed in at 18lbs. 12 oz. and 27 inches. That puts him in the 70th percentile for weight and 60th for height.

6 comments:

Meeuwsens said...

Sounds like quite the day! I can't imagine a blowout with one baby let alone 3 little ones! Glad to hear you have 3 healthy, growing little kids!

TracyVDM said...

Glad to hear it went well! (other than the blowout...gotta love that!) Elise's follow up went well today. She has to go for the VCUG testing at DeVos like Isabella did, though.

The Robinsons said...

Bless you for having the patience to make it through a day like that! So glad that the "big" kids didn't actually have to get pokes and that the boys are growing so well!

aelders said...

I had no idea about the nasal vaccines! WHat a great invention! I know exactly what you're talking about in the waiting room. Getting them all in the office and sitting still for the Dr. is quite an accomplishment. Good job!

The Geurinks said...

I don't know how you do with 3 young kids!! It's hard enough taking 1 with you! Glad the older ones didn't need shots!

Megan said...

I read your blog through tracy vdm, and I also go to vp. Glad to hear you made it through your day. My son has shots Wednesday too. Not so fun. :(